A wide variety of material exists on this site for researchers interested in the following topics:
East African Government and Politics
- Early Field Notes: A digitized searchable collection of field notes collected by Dr. Norman Miller in three rural districts in Tanzania from 1964-1966.
- Rural Leadership Survey: A 1965 survey of 434 villagers in leadership positions in rural Tanzania, with a partial 2005 follow-up survey.
- Fieldstaff Reports: Field reports from 1969-1985 on social, economic, and political issues in East Africa.
- Witchcraft in the Press: A collection of 520 witchcraft-related news reports written between 1960 and 2010 in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, a subsection of which is dedicated to political cases.
- Further Resources: Several bibliographies of early writings (1966-1982) on East African politics, and references to methodological guides for conducting research in the field.
Witchcraft and Human Rights
- Encounters With Witchcraft: Miller’s 2012 textbook recounting his experiences with witchcraft across four decades of work in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.
- Witchcraft in the Press: A collection of 520 witchcraft-related news reports written between 1960 and 2010 in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.
- Fieldstaff Reports: Field reports from 1969-1985, two of which focus on witchcraft and sorcery in Tanzania.
- Unpublished Research Notes and Documents: A scanned selection of Miller’s unpublished research, roughly 1,500 pages sorted by subject.
- MacDonald-Miller Correspondence: 30 years of unpublished correspondence between Norman Miller and Duncan MacDonald, MD, concerning the social and economic impact of witchcraft, condensed into a 600-page document.
- Master Witchcraft Bibliography: A collection of bibliographical information that Miller has identified as relevant to sub-Saharan witchcraft studies, beginning with early 19th century literature.
- Early Field Notes: A digitized searchable collection of original East African field notes collected by Dr. Norman Miller in Tanzania from 1964-1966.
- Further Resources: References to more information on witchcraft and Miller’s print archives at Michigan State University.
Health and Medicine
- HIV/AIDS Research Articles: A collection of articles published from 1989-1999 in two research bulletins on HIV/AIDS prevention and education, which Miller co-founded and directed.
- Fieldstaff Reports: Field reports from 1969-1985, four of which focus on health issues in rural Africa and China, including traditional medical practices.
- Further Resources: For more information on traditional medicine, consult the WHO and “Understanding traditional African healing” by M. G. Mokgobi.
- Wildlife Wild Death: Miller’s textbook on wildlife conservation and land use in Kenya and Tanzania from 1980-2012 (full text).
- Collected Reports: Several texts and collections of reports on wildlife conservation and management in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Somalia, and Sudan from the 1980s and 1990s.
- Fieldstaff Reports: Field reports from 1969-1985, four of which focus on the human-wildlife relationship, covering poaching, ivory trade, tourism, and land management, among other topics.
- Further Resources: References to resources on the economic impact of wildlife, related government policies, and illegal trade.
Cultures in Transition
- Faces of Change: A collection of 26 anthropological films and essays recording the cultures of rural villages across the five following countries, shot in 1972-1973.
- Focus on Women: A collection of films pertaining to the life of women in rural villages, shot in 1972-1985.